Ngọ Môn - the Gate of Noon

Constructed in 1833 in the traditional Vietnamese Nguyen style under the rule of emperor Minh Mang , the noon gate Ngọ Môn leads to the Imperial Palace and was the observation point for the Emperor to review his troops and for ceremonial use.

The gate is divided into two levels: the stone and brick fortress-like base structure, and the more elaborate, palace-like upper level. At ground level, the gate actually has five entrances. The king only used the entrance in the center.  Mandarins, soldiers and horses used the two entrances on the side. On the second level is Lầu Ngũ Phụng - the Five-Phoenix Pavilion.

The pavilion's roof is decked in imperial yellow, glazed ceramic roof tiles. On the roof tiles are various animals and creatures to ward off evil. The main hall is flanked by two side pavilions, which were reserved for members of the court.